Love fajitas!? Love enchiladas? We do too! So we decided to combine them into one recipe! This dish is perfect for a summer time meal and won’t let you feeling guilty! The preparation is simple, quick and mouth-watering! Steak or fish could also be used as the protein. You won’t be disappointed!
Chicken Fajitas with Tex-Mex Sauce + Enchilada Rice
For the Enchilada Rice
-3 cups white rice, cooked
-1 cup enchilada sauce
-1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
-1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
– I can black beans, drained
-2 green onions, chopped
-1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
For the Fajitas
-4 boneless skinless chicken breast
– 2-3 tablespoons taco seasoning
-1 tablespoon of olive oil
-1 red + orange bell pepper, sliced
-2 ears corn, husk removed
-1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
-1 lime, juiced
-Corn or flour tortillas
-1 avocado, diced
For the Tex-Mex Sauce
-1/2 cup ketchup
-1 teaspoon brown sugar
-2 ounces melted light cream cheese
– 2 tablespoons hot sauce
-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
-1/2 lime, juiced
1. To make the Tex-Mex sauce, add the ketchup and cream cheese to a bowl. Whisk until smooth and then add the brown sugar, chipotle peppers, cilantro and lime juice. Season with a pinch of salt. Cover and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Heat up the BBQ. Add the chicken to a bowl and toss with the taco seasoning. Place the peppers and corn on a plate and rub with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place on to foil for the grill.
3. Add the chicken and veggies to the hot grill and cook until done. Make sure to check the veggies and flip a few extra times to ensure even cooking. Remove everything from the grill and allow the veggies and chicken to cool five minutes
4. Meanwhile start making the rice. Add the cooked rice to a large skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Toast the rice for 5 minutes, stirring often to ensure even browning. Add the enchilada sauce, Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese. Bring the mixture to a low boil and cook, stirring until the cheese is melted and the rice is creamy, about 5 minutes. Add more cheese if you desire. Stir in the black beans, cilantro and green onions. Keep warm until ready to serve.
5. Slice the peppers and use a sharp knife to remove the corn kernels from the cob. Add the veggies to a bowl and toss with the cilantro and lime juice. Slice the chicken into strips.
6. To assemble add the cheesy rice to the center of a warm tortilla. Add the chicken and peppers. Garnish with fresh cilantro and diced avocado. Drizzle with the Tex-Mex Special Sauce.
Taco Tuesday! Today, T.W.O. will be featuring a carne taco con batatas. Batatas? Yes – Batatas….Sweet Potatoes! Grab your apron and lets start grilling!!!
Grilled Tri-tip Tacos with Sweet Potatoes and Peppers
– 1 tri-tip roast, seasoned*
– 3 bell peppers (yellow, red, orange)
– ½ sweet onion, chopped
– 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
– ¼ cup lemon juice
– 3 Tablespoons olive oil
– 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
– 1 teaspoon garlic powder
– Corn tortillas
– Sour cream
– Fresh guacamole
* Season tri-tip roast with Montreal Steak seasoning prior to putting on the grill.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place the cubed sweet potato on a cookie sheet. Season with 1 Tablespoon, olive oil, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place in oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, place the tri-tip on a heated barbeque. Cook for 30 minutes or until done.
- In a sauté pan, add 2 Tablespoons olive oil and lemon juice. Add the vegetables. Sautee for 10-15 minutes or until done to your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When all the ingredients are done cooking, place the tortillas on the barbeque to heat up.
- Final steps – assembly! Create your masterpiece by combining all your ingredients into a freshly grilled tortilla!
Cheers to another T.W.O. Taco Night!