With summer approaching, well in SoCal it already has, T.W.O. wanted to fire up the BBQ and grill some potatoes for their weekend dinner. It’s a great side dish to your meal that is a new spin on traditional potato salad. It’s warm, spicy and refreshing….what else can you ask for?
Grilled Potato Salad with Scallion Vinaigrette and Jalapeños
– As adapted and modified from Food and Wine-
– 1 1/2 lbs. fingerling potatoes
– 10 scallions, cut
– 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, for dressing and brushing
– 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
– 1 cup lemon juice
– 1 small jalapeño, seeded and chopped
1. In a large saucepan, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat for about 15 minutes. Drain water and halve potatoes lengthwise.
2. Preheat BBQ. While BBQ is heating, brush the scallions with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on the bbq for about 2 minutes or lightly charred. Transfer to a plate and cover to let steam for 5 minutes.
3. Brush the potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on foil and add to the bbq for about 5 minutes or lightly charred. Transfer to a bowl.
4. While the potatoes are on the grill, mix together the remaining olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice. Add the scallions to the dressing and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and mix well. Sprinkle the jalapeños over the potatoes and serve.
One of T.W.O.’s favorite beverages is ice water with fresh squeezed lemons. It’s refreshing, low calorie and full of nutritional benefits. Lemons help boost your immune system, aids in digestion, cleanses your system, helps you lose weight, reduces inflammation, keeps your skin blemish-free and the list goes on! With this in mind, T.W.O. decided to put our creative hats on and make it possible to have lemon water all year around- even when the tree was not producing fruit!
-Ice cube trays
Begin by squeezing fresh lemon juice into a large pitcher, making sure to remove all the seeds. Next, add your water. Depending on how concentrated you would like your ice cubes to be, add more, equal, or less water to the lemon juice. When you have your desired concentration, pour the lemon water mixture into the ice cube trays and freeze. Next time you don’t have a fresh lemon to squeeze in your water, just take out an ice cube and place it into your water! Now you have your lemon water!
Easy as that! When life gives you lemons, make ice cubes!
T.W.O.’s lemon bars are a favorite among family and friends. And with it being Lemon Week, we thought we would share our famous recipe with you! These sweet treats melt in your mouth and will make you want more! Next time you are having guests over for dinner, hosting a party, or just need something sweet in your house, we would highly suggest trying out this recipe! It will bring a smile to your face! When life gives you lemons…make lemon bars!
-3 cups flour
-1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
-1 ½ cups butter
-3 cups granulated sugar
-7 Tablespoons flour
-1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the Crust
For the lemon mixture
Heat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9×13 Pyrex. In a mixer, combine butter, powered sugar and flour and mix until a solid dough ball forms.
Place crust evenly into the Pyrex. Bake crust for 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat eggs, sugar, flour, and lemon juice together in a mixer for 4-5 minutes.
When crust is done, pour lemon mixture over crust and put into oven for another 20-25 minutes.
After bars are cooled, sprinkle with powder sugar. Enjoy!
It’s Lemon Week!!
This week, T.W.O. will be featuring some recipes and creative ideas that all include lemons! Every year, around this time, the famous family lemon tree is full of fruit! The tree produces so many lemons, so we like to come up with different ways to use them so they don’t go to waste! We look forward to sharing our ideas and hope that the next time you are given lemons, you think of T.W.O.’s lemon ideas!
Decorating with lemons is one of T.W.O.’s favorite things to do with the fruit. Just grab a vase, some fresh picked lemons, and bam- you have yourself a nice table centerpiece!
Use lemons as a table setting decoration. It’s the new napkin holder!
Another idea is to gift lemons! Add fresh lemons to a gift basket! It adds color and is a great filler between the other items in the basket.
Lemons make life so much brighter!