Kale is known as the queen of greens since it has one of the most health benefits than any other vegetable. In one cup of chopped kale, there are 33 calories, 9% of the daily value of calcium, 206% of vitamin A, 134% of vitamin C and 684% of vitamin K. Impressive, right?! It doesn’t stop there though – – it also is a good source of minerals copper, iron, manganese, phosphorus and potassium. This leafy green also lowers the blood cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of heart disease.
So with that being said, T.W.O. enjoys making kale salads for lunch to ensure they reach their required daily value of nutrients. Check out this Kale, chickpea, and carrot salad and lemon vinaigrette recipe below.
– 2 bunches lacinato kale
– 1- 15 ounce can chickpeas
– 1 cup fresh lemon juice
– 2 cups shredded carrots
– 2 Tablespoons spicy brown mustard
– 4 Tablespoons basil olive oil
– 1 teaspoon Organic Blue Agave
– ¼ cup rice vinegar
– 4 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
– 1 teapoon garlic powder
– Krazy Salt
Wash and rinse the kale. Remove core stems and chop. (T.W.O. didn’t remove the entire core stem – just the thick part near the bottom. We like the little crunch in our salad!) Place in a bowl. Add the chickpeas. Chopped the carrots in thick slices and add to the salad mixture. The thinner the slices, the soggier the carrots will get as the salad marinates…. So thick slices work best!
In a dressing shaker or cup, add the lemon juice, spicy brown mustard, basil olive oil, rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar, agave and garlic powder. Mix/ Shake well. Add Krazy Salt and pepper to taste.
Toss the salad dressing in the salad mixture and place in the refrigerator to marinate. For best results, leave in for about an hour. You can also leave the kale in a sealed container without it going soggy for up to 2 days. Great idea for weekday lunches!
Happy healthy cooking!
Skewers are a great way to spicy up your meals. It’s one way to get your protein, vegetables and your savory! Check out how we made these Parsley Pesto Chicken Skewers.
Parsley Pesto Chicken Skewers
– 1 cup parsley leaves
– 10 garlic cloves, crushed
– 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
– ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
– ¼ cup lemon juice
– 2 chicken breasts, cubed
– Bell peppers
– Red Onions, thick slices
– Wood skewers
1. In a blender, pulse the parsley, garlic, crushed red pepper, lemon juice and olive oil to a thick puree. Mix in salt and pepper to taste.
2. In a bowl, mix the chicken and pesto. Put in refrigerator to marinate for 2-4 hours.
3. With about 30 minutes, left to marinate, soak the wood skewers in water. This eliminates them from splintering.
4. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator to assemble the skewers.
5. Wash and cut the peppers. Keep the mushrooms whole. The red onions should be cut in thick slices.
6. To assemble, add each ingredient to the skewer. Put more or less vegetables depending on your liking.
7. Set the skewers aside once assembled. Pour any remaining marinate over the top of the skewers.
8. Barbeque on? Should be! Once it’s ready, put the skewers on over medium heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
9. Make sure the chicken is cooked. Once done, plate over your favorite side dish and serve! T.W.O. served theirs over lentils.
It’s a warm evening, and are you trying to find a side salad to go with your meal? Well, T.W.O. has the perfect recipe for you. It’s refreshing, light and has a spike of flavor for you! Check out this recipe that will sure to “mix” up your day!
– 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
– 1 teaspoon lime zest
– 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon tequila
– 1 tablespoon agave
– ½ tsp salt
– 1/ 4 cup olive oil
– 2 heads roman salad, chopped
– 1 avocado
– 1/3 cup roasted almonds, chopped
– ½ cup Cotija
In a bowl, add the lime juice, lime zest, lemon juice, tequila, agave, and salt. Whisk together —- Mix well.
In a salad bowl/serving bowl, add the leafy greens, avocado and roasted almonds. Drizzle your desired amount of the dressing and lightly toss. Service with your favorite entrée or add protein like chicken or steak.