Envision this….you are walking down the streets in Firenze towards the Duomo and you want to satisfy your sweet tooth – no problem. Turn the corner past The Oil Shoppe and there is a gelateria. Only 2 euros for two scoops – perfect…thats change right!? What flavors shall you pick? In this post, T.W.O. recreates the authentic Italian coffee gelato. It’s very similar minus the cobble stone streets and the outstanding architecture. Thats amore – lets travel to ITALIA!
– 5 egg yolks
– 1 cup sugar
– 1 1/2 cups whole milk
– 2 Tablespoon vanilla
– 1 Tablespoon instant espresso powder dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water
1. Whisk yolks in a large bowl until blended and fluffy.
2. Bring milk to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Gradually whisk hot milk into egg mixture; then whisk in espresso mixture and vanilla.
3. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over medium heat until custard thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 8 minutes (Be careful not to boil).
4. Refrigerate the custard until cold, about 3 hours.
5. Process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
6. Freeze in covered container. For best results let is freeze for 24 hours.