Forget the pineapple and hello apple season! T.W.O. decided to mix up the traditional Pineapple Upside-Down cake and make an Apple Upside-Down cake. It’s literally a burst of Fall in your mouth! Caramelized apples, cinnamon and nutmeg….what is more Fall than that? (Well maybe pumpkin!) Not only is the apple topping delicious, the moist, fluffy cake is also sumptuous and can be eaten by itself. Add a scoop of ice cream and you have yourselfthe perfect dessert!
Apple Upside-Down Cake
• ¼ cup unsalted butter
• ½ cup light brown sugar
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 large honeycrisp apples
• 1 and ½ cups all-purpose unbleached flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
• ⅔ cup granulated sugar
• ½ cup milk (we used 1% milk)
• 2 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350ᴼ.
2. Remove the skins for the apples and the core. Slice thinly.
For the topping:
3. Put the butter and brown sugar in a sauce pan and cook over medium heat. Stir constantly until the mixture starts to boil. Remove from heat and add the cinnamon.
4. Pour the mixture into a 9 inch round cake pan andspread evenly.
5. Top the sugar mixture with sliced apples.
For the Cake:
6. Using a KitchenAid, beat the butter, sugar until smooth. Add one egg at a time and mix for 1 minute between each egg. Add the vanilla. Mix well.
7. Slowly add the flour and baking powder. Mix slowly.
8. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg.
9. Once combined, add the cake batter to the pan andplace in the oven for 35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
10. Remove from the oven and let it cool for about 15 minutes before removing the cake from the pan.
11. T.W.O. highly suggest serving this dish warm with a scoop of ice cream. If you make this cake beforehand, you can heat up the cake in a 250ᴼ oven for about 15 minutes prior to serving.
4 thoughts on “Apple Upside-Down Cake”
Oh now this is something I’d like to sink my teeth into. Looks delicious! My cousin Valia and I decided to make her mom a pineapple upside down cake when we were in elementary school. We were so dismayed to see the pineapples on the counter just as we were taking the cake out of the oven!!
Uh-Oh!!!!! So it was just a Upside-Down Cake? hahah…love those funny baking stories – makes for great memories with loved ones!!! Hope you are doing well!!
That looks really good! Really great idea.
Thanks for stopping by! It’s a really great dessert to try!