Summer is over, but that doesn’t mean you have to change your menu completely! Here in Southern California the weather is still warm, so T.W.O. decided to whip up the Mediterranean quinoa salad. It’s easy, refreshing and easy for those weeknight meals!
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
– 1 cup quinoa
– 2 cups chicken broth
– 2 cups chopped mini heirloom tomatoes
– 1 cup Persian cucumbers, quartered
– 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
– 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
– 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
– 1/2 cup feta cheese
– 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
– 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
– 4 Tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
1. Cook quinoa as directed using the chicken broth instead of water.
2. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, onions, olive oil and balsamic. Season with salt and pepper. Let marinate for 5-10 minutes. Add the mint.
3. Once the quinoa is done cooking, remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Add to the vegetable combination and mix well. Top with feta and lemon juice and you have yourself a European salad!!
T.W.O. first discovered fattoush salad at a great lunch spot in San Francisco called Blue Barn! The restaurant offers many kinds of salads and sandwiches, but the fattoush salad was our favorite. This salad is a variation of your traditional Greek salad – It has many of the same ingredients, but includes pita chips, parsley, mint and garbanzo beans. It’s delicious and makes for a great lunch or dinner dish!
For the salad:
-Mix of romaine and kale lettuce
-Garbanzo beans, rinsed
-Cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
-Persian cucumbers, sliced
-Red Onion, chopped
-Kalamata olives, chopped
For the dressing:
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1 cup lemon juice
-1 teaspoon cumin
-1 garlic clove, chopped
-Salt and Pepper
Preheat oven to 415°F. Cut the pita bread into small squares and toss in olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread the pita bread on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in oven for 15 minutes, making sure to flip the pita bread over halfway through so they cook evenly. Take the pita chips out of the oven and set aside.
Next, chop the salad into small pieces. Next add in the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, olives, mint, parsley, and cheese.
Add in the pita chips.
Toss the ingredients with the dressing. Make sure to add in the dressing right before serving so the pita chips don’t get soggy.
It’s time to eat!