Have you ever thought about grilling lettuce? Well you will after reading this recipe. It’s a great way to bring more flavors to your fresh salad without adding the calories or the ingredients. T.W.O. combined the grilled romaine with fresh vegetables and a homemade dressing. Check out the recipe below.
Grilled Mediterranean Salad
– 2 heads organic romaine
– 1 ½ cup fresh tomatoes, diced
– 1 cup hearts of palm, sliced
– 4 persian cucumbers, sliced
– ¼ cup basil olive oil
– 2 Tablespoon fig balsamic
– 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
– ¾ cup lemon juice
– Olive oil (~ 1 teaspoon for drizzling)
- Cut the romaine heads in half, lengthwise. Leave the stem and core intact.
- Drizzle the olive oil and salt and pepper on the halves.
- For the dressing: combine the, basil olive oil, fig balsamic, rice vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- On a heated barbeque, place the romaine halves on the grill over low-medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Make sure to watch the lettuce leaves – you don’t want them to start to burn.
- Remove the lettuce and top with homemade dressing, tomatoes, cucumbers and hearts of palm. Add pepper as needed.