When you see the word Maui…what do you think of? Hawaii, tropical waters, fruity beverage, sunshine and a tan. Well T.W.O. tried to incorporate all those thoughts into one recipe. Check out how to make these Maui Short Rib Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Salsa. It’s a great summer recipe for your next barbecue. Drink umbrellas included! ALOHA!
– 3-4 pounds boneless beef short ribs
– 22 fl oz Ace Hard Cider, Pineapple (we found this at Trader Joes)
– 6 Tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
– 3 garlic cloves, chopped
– ½ cup soy sauce
– 2 green onions, sliced
– Montreal Steak Seasoning
– Olive oil
Grilled Pineapple Salsa:
– 1 fresh pineapple
– 1-2 jalapeños, pending on your spice factor
– Fresh cherry tomatoes
– ½ Maui Sweet Onion
– ¼ cup lemon juice
1. Season the short ribs with Montreal Steak Seasoning on both sides. Let them sit for about 15 minutes.
2. Heat a large skillet/ pan with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil. Place the short ribs on the heated surface and sear both sides for 5 minutes each.
3. Add the cider, fresh ginger, garlic, soy sauce to the pan with the short ribs. The liquid should cover about a ¾ of the beef. If not, add some water. Note – the liquid will cook down, so watch to make sure there is always some in the pan.
4. Bring the liquid to a boil and then cover and let simmer over low heat for a minimum of 2 ½ hours. The longer the better.
5. While the ribs are cooking, cut the pineapple in circles.
6. Place on a heated bbq grill and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes each side. You want the pineapple to soften, but not too much.
7. Remove the pineapple from the grill and let cool for 2 minutes. Cube and place in a bowl. Add chopped cherry tomatoes, onions, lemon juice and jalapeños. Salt to taste.
8. Once the ribs are done, add to a heated bbq and grill for 3-4 minutes each side. Remove from heat and shred.
9. Assemble your tacos and garnish with green onions.