T.W.O. was able to spend this past weekend with their entire family. We celebrated March and April birthdays, Easter and got the chance to spend quality time together. There were laughs, good food, sun and beach runs. Check out some photos that were captured this past weekend.
Imagine, lounging on the beach looking at the crisp blue ocean waters of the Mediterranean in the warm sun. Besides rose, what else is missing? Of course, some Mediterranean orzo pasta salad! Its refreshing, light and satisfying. See you in paradise!
Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad
- 2 cups orzo
- 4-6 cups water
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup red onions, chopped
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts (optional)
- Cook orzo as directed on the box.
- Once the orzo is done, strain all the water out. Place in a bowl.
- Mix in chopped mint, cherry tomatoes, garlic, red onions, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add artichoke hearts if deserved.
- Plate and serve! Store leftovers in the refrigerator. If the pasta gets dry, add more lemon juice.
Rice Crispy Treats – - they are good! Good is the key word. T.W.O. wants to make them FANTASTIC! So what we are going to do is add peanut butter, coconut oil, chia seeds and peanut butter cups. Thanks to Justin’s Peanut Butter we were able to make a good dessert a FANTASTIC dessert!
Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats
- 4 cups rice crispy cereal
- 3 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2/3 cups Justin’s creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Justin’s Peanut Butter Cups
- 3/4 cup chocolate, melted
- In a large bowl, combine rice crispy cereal and chia seeds.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Cover and heat for 2-3 minutes or until all the ingredients are melted. Stir occasionally during the cooking time to make sure you don’t overcook.
- Pour peanut butter mixture over the cereal and chia seeds.
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined Pyrex.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate and chopped Justin’s Peanut Butter cups.
- Place in freezer until set. When it’s ready, use a large knife to cut into squares.
- Plate and serve!
Would you like some carrots with your hummus? That’s what you will be asking your guests after making this recipe!!!
Jalapeno Lime Hummus
- 2 (15 oz) Can chickpeas, drained
- 4 Tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
- 4 Cloves of garlic, peeled
- 3 Tablespoon Jalapeno, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoon Fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- Tapatio Hot Sauce (optional)
1. Place chickpeas, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, lemon juice, lime juice, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. While the bender is on, slowly pour Olive oil and water and continue processing until super creamy and smooth. Add tapatio if you want the hummus to be spicier.
3. Use as a dip, spread on a sandwich or eat by itself.
Tired of your average enchilada dish? Well this dish will definitely activate your taste buds and leave you feeling satisfied! This quinoa casserole is a great alternative to traditional enchiladas and is a crowd pleaser! It’s an easy mouthwatering recipe to make for any meal- including for a crowd!
Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Dish
- 2 cups dry Quinoa, cook according to package directions
- 2 Chicken breasts, boneless & skinless, cubed
- 1 ½ cup Sweet Onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups Red Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- Hot Sauce
- Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook quinoa, fluff with a fork and toss with enchilada sauce in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium to high heat. Sauté onion for 5-8 minutes or until brown and caramelized. Add chicken cubes and seasonings (chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, hot sauce and some enchilada sauce). Cook chicken for about 8-10 minutes or until done. Make sure not to overcook the chicken.
3. Add chicken to quinoa and toss to combine. Mix in ½ cup of each kind of cheese to the quinoa and chicken. Place the quinoa into a 9×11 casserole dish. Top with cheeses. Bake uncovered for about 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
4. Set the oven to broil and broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn!
5. Plate the quinoa and top with fresh avocado (or you can make guacamole!), cilantro & green onion. Sour cream and salsa are also great too!
Like most weekends, T.W.O. likes to stay active and find new trails. This past weekend, T.W.O. ventured to Salt Creak Beach and ran the famous trail near the St. Regis and Ritz Carlton. The golf course and ocean views were spectacular. There is no doubt we will be running this trail again and will include a pit stop at the Monarch Cafe.
Friday Night Pizza Night with T.W.O. – yes its already that time again! This week, we are featuring a margherita pizza with home sauce. Don’t be intimidated – it’s a beginner’s recipe that tastes like a million dollars! Enjoy your pizza making!
Margherita Pizza with Homemade Sauce
- 1 pizza dough
- 1 can San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
- 2-3 cups fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 8 leaves basil
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 415°.
- Roll out pizza dough on a floured/cornmeal surface. Transfer to a greased cookie sheet.
- Pour the tomatoes in a bowl. Chop up the whole tomatoes into quarters.
- Add to a heated skillet lined with olive oil. Sprinkle in garlic powder, salt and pepper. Slowly add cornstarch after the sauce has reached a bowl. Reduce heat and stir consistently. The sauce should thicken. Remove from heat.
- Add the sauce to the top of the pizza dough. Top with garlic cloves. Place the sliced mozzarella on top of the garlic along with the fresh basil.
- Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the pizza sit for 2-4 minutes. Cut and serve.
Cheers to another great Friday Night Pizza Night!
Need a fast and easy side dish – T.W.O. has you covered with this mushroom and basil quinoa recipe. It’s light, flavorful and fresh. If you are a mushroom lover, you will love this recipe!
Mushroom & Basil Quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 shallot, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup manchego, shaved
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Olive Oil
- Bring 2 cups of water to a bowl. Add quinoa. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, sauté mushrooms, cloves, shallot in olive oil. Add fresh salt and pepper. Cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- When the quinoa is done, place in a bowl and mix mushrooms in. Add lemon juice, basil, manchego, salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate and serve hot.